Sr. Digital Avionics Engineer - Space Systems
This is a full time position.
Duty Location: North Las Vegas, Nevada
Are you ready for a new challenge? Bring your talent and skills to Bigelow Aerospace. We have a very exciting opportunity for a full time Senior Digital Design Engineer specializing in digital/FPGA/processor circuits for our Aerospace division.
Founded in 1999, Bigelow Aerospace's mission has been to revolutionize spaceflight by developing and launching inflatable, flexible and user-configurable space station modules. Our next generation spacecraft now in development, will greatly expand the space habitat of the International Space Station for only a fraction of the cost, opening spaceflight to national space agencies and/or private corporate clients.
You will be responsible for defining requirements, performing detailed engineering designs, performing V&V (Verification and Validation) testing, troubleshooting and deploying avionics hardware for a manned spacecraft in a Low Earth Orbit (LEO). Subsystems include:
- Advanced Communications Controller managing the RF interface upload/ download links
- Data Hardware Management, including internal spacecraft, spacecraft to spacecraft, spacecraft to ground, and ground to mission control networks.
- Digital controls of the Spacecraft Power System, including power generation, storage and distribution, battery charge controller and monitor, solar panel monitor
The successful candidate is a broad-based digital hardware engineer with hands-on board design experience using microcontrollers and firmware, strong FPGA design knowledge, troubleshooting skills and combines the best perspective of a developer, of a test and verification engineer and a project leader who exercises independent judgment and action.
- Capable of generating functional and architectural concepts, sub-system partitioning with floor-planning, simulation, implementation and verification of complex designs.
- Specify performance constraints, perform static timing analysis and develop functional simulations to ensure proper implementation.
- Proficient in all FPGAs development phases, including a mix of custom Register Transfer Level (RTL) with hard and soft vendor IP cores and of automated self-checking test benches. Must have written VHDL or Verilog, simulated, synthesized, placed and routed, integrated and tested FPGA designs on hardware. Expert level knowledge of simulation tools such as Questa or Incisive, synthesis tools such as Synplify, and back-end tools such as Xilinx ISE, Altera Quartus, or other FPGA vendor tools is mandatory.
- Master digital control interfaces such as MIL-STD-1553, Ethernet, SPI, I2C, Spacewire, and RS-422
- Experienced guiding a high-speed digital board layout for signal integrity, power quality, EMI and thermal considerations
- Perform test and debugging at board, component, and subsystem levels.
- Evaluate third Party OEM subsystem components including generating and reviewing specifications, reviewing designs, procuring components, coordinating first article testing and generating evaluation reports
This position is for a Senior-Level Digital Engineer and requires a minimum of 10 years experience with an accredited Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent program. A Masters degree is preferred.
Special considerations will be given to candidates with experience developing, qualifying and deploying rad-hard hardware for space applications, high reliability fault tolerant design techniques, and radiation hardened component selection.
Minimum Position Requirements:
- US Citizens and Permanent Residents Only
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering
- 8 years experience in developing avionics systems
Apply for employment using any of the following methods:
Please note: For best protection of your personal information, use the Mail option below.
Use the Online Application
Send resumes to:
ATTN: HR Representative
1899 W. Brooks Avenue
North Las Vegas, NV 89032
Fax your resume to: (702) 639-0881