Responsibilities and Qualifications
- Work from preliminary and released design drawings, detailed procedures, test specifications, manufacturing planning, and oral and written instructions to determine the appropriate method of fabrication and assembly
- Perform basic and complex lay-up techniques to include pre-preg or wet lay-up, cutting, vacuum bagging, basic repair, autoclave, and/or trimming operations
- Verify work and ensure a defect-free part prior to presenting to quality control for inspection
- Trim and finish composite and composite metallic assemblies; assembly of structures including setup, bonding and fastener applications; use solvents to prepare surfaces for sealing or assembly; laminate assemblies by determining proper placement of composite materials into molds
- Prepare parts for bagging, including placement of bleeders, thermocouples, probes and vacuum connections, check seals on completed bagged parts for leaks
- Vacuum bag processing, bonding, and oven/autoclave curing
- Make basic layouts on parts or assemblies in order to establish reference points and to check dimensions using calipers, micrometers, precision scales and torque wrenches
- Cut and shape patterns using planes, shaves, files, sure foams, scrapers, routers, hotwires, mills and lathes
- Perform product inspection and rework as required
- Two (2) years of prior work experience within a professional environment
- High School diploma or GED required
- A&P License or Composites Certification is preferred
- Operational knowledge is absolutely required for forklift, boom, crane and lifting straps
- Understanding of tolerance and print comprehension
- High level of technical skills
- Experience and judgment of applicable mechanical and some electrical principals
- Operational knowledge of mechanical and electrical height gauges, indicators, micrometers, sine plates, precision cleaning and weigh equipment
- High-volume manufacturing experience is a plus
- Experience gained through the military or within an aviation manufacturing or aerospace company is a plus
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Bigelow Aerospace was founded in 1999. Our headquarters are located in North Las Vegas, Nevada.
Our mission is to provide affordable destinations serving many diverse uses and customers, whether those destinations are located in low Earth orbit, deep space or on a foreign body.
In 2006 and 2007, we successfully launched and deployed Genesis I and II. On April 8, 2016 we launched the BEAM, Bigelow Expandable Activity Module, on contract with NASA to the International Space Station. The BEAM is a technology demonstrator to promote the viability of expandable habitat technology.