Mechanical Engineering Structural Design Engineer
Responsibilities and Qualifications
- Assist Department Manager in leading a team of Mechanical Design and Structural Engineers.
- The engineer will design components and/or systems based on a set of requirements and constraints, and oversee the project from concept to production.
- Work directly with Systems Engineering to gather and understand the project design requirements.
- Design mechanical / structural systems and products based on set given and derived requirements.
- Perform related analysis (simple FEA) and classical hand calculations to optimize design of product.
- Modify designs based on cost and manufacturing capabilities.
- Work with structural analysis to verify capabilities of structure before fabrication.
- Holds design reviews and presentations among peers to gain design feedback.
- Assures system and product quality by designing testing methods and
factures; testing finished- product and system capabilities; confirming
fabrication, assembly, and installation processes.
- Prepares product reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information.
- Provides engineering information by answering questions and requests.
- Prepares manufacturing drawings to ANSI Y14.5M standards using GD&T for manufacturability and repeatability.
- Troubleshoot manufacturing and assembly issues.
- Record notes, design changes, and test results on ENBs.
- Multi-task, be a self starter, work under pressure and meet deadlines consistently.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Aerospace or equivalent engineering field processes
- 6+ years of Mechanical Design/Structural Engineering experience.
- Experience with PDM / PLM software.
- Knowledge of ANSI Y14.5M drawing standards.
- Knowledge of GD&T.Solid Works CAD experience.
- Experience working on a spacecraft program is a plus!
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Bigelow Aerospace was founded in 1999. Our headquarters are located in North Las Vegas, Nevada.
Our mission is to provide affordable destinations serving many diverse uses and customers, whether those destinations are located in low Earth orbit, deep space or on a foreign body.
In 2006 and 2007, we successfully launched and deployed Genesis I and II. On April 8, 2016 we launched the BEAM, Bigelow Expandable Activity Module, on contract with NASA to the International Space Station. The BEAM is a technology demonstrator to promote the viability of expandable habitat technology.